“Entity” shall mean any business, company, or other organization, whether public or private, including without limitation any partnership, corporation, limited liability corporation, unincorporated association, or other institution or organization, whether for-profit or not-for-profit.
“Inside Activity” shall mean any activity an employee does as part of their assigned research, clinical, teaching, or service responsibilities including University activities that form the basis for supervisory assessment of their University job performance.
“Institutional Expertise” shall mean an employee’s teaching, research or clinical expertise in their University discipline.
“Investigator” shall mean the principal Investigator, co-principal Investigator, or any other employee responsible for the design, conduct, or reporting of the proposed or funded research or educational activities.
“Outside Activity” is any activity undertaken by an employee that is not an Inside Activity.
“Private Interest” is a concrete Financial Interest, or other material or tangible interest, including compensated or uncompensated relationships, held by or inuring to a an employee or Reporting Household member, and arising from the employee’s Outside Activity.
“Relative” (as defined in Florida Statute 112.312) means an individual who is related to a public officer or employee as father, mother, son, daughter, brother, sister, uncle, aunt, first cousin, nephew, niece, husband, wife, father-in-law, mother-in-law, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, stepfather, stepmother, stepson, stepdaughter, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister, grandparent, great grandparent, grandchild, great grandchild, step grandparent, step great grandparent, step grandchild, step great grandchild, person who is engaged to be married to the public officer or employee or who otherwise holds himself or herself out as or is generally known as the person whom the public officer or employee intends to marry or with whom the public officer or employee intends to form a household, or any other natural person having the same legal residence as the public officer or employee.
“Reporting Household” shall mean a spouse, domestic partner, dependent child or stepchild or any Relative (as defined in Florida Statute 112.312) who shares a household with the employee.
“Reportable Outside Activity” shall mean any Financial Interest or Outside Activity that is required to be disclosed to the University as provided by items 1 through 12 below:
- Management or Material Interest: An employee must report a management position (e.g., officer, director, partner, proprietor) held or material interest (more than a 5% ownership interest) owned by themselves, anyone in the Reporting Household, and any Relative (as defined in Florida Statute 112.312) whose position or interest is known to the employee, in an Entity that enters into any agreements or contracts with University (e.g., service agreements, leases, sales agreements).
- Publicly-Traded Entity Payments/Ownership: An employee must report receipt of payments from or an ownership interest of $5,000 or more (including shares, partnership stake, or derivative interests such as stock options) in a publicly-traded Entity by the employee or anyone in the Reporting Household where the payments or ownership interest reasonably appear to be related to the employee’s Inside Activities or Institutional Expertise. This does not include an ownership interest managed by a third party, such as a mutual or retirement fund.
- Privately-Held Entity Ownership: An employee must report any ownership in a privately held Entity by the employee or a member of the Reporting Household, where the ownership interest reasonably appears to be related to the employee’s Inside Activities or Institutional Expertise.
- Public Office/Candidate: An employee must report if the employee is a candidate for public office or holds public office.
- Outside Teaching Appointments: An employee must report if the employee has or is seeking approval to hold an additional (to their UF appointment) teaching appointment with an outside Entity, in the area of their Institutional Expertise that represents a Private Interest.
- Outside Research: An employee must report if the employee oversees or conducts or is seeking approval to conduct any research in the general area of their Institutional Expertise at, or receive any research resources or funding from or through, any Entity other than the University. Research by Investigators conducted at Entities as part of a University sponsored project or research funding received by the University is subsumed under Inside Activity and hence does not need to be disclosed.
- Classroom Works: An employee must report if the employee requires or seeks approval to require students to purchase works to be used in the employee’s classroom when such works were created, authored or co-authored (e.g., textbook(s), computer software, electronic or digital media) by the employee or employee’s spouse and for which the employee or their spouse will receive, or anticipate receiving payment, loan, subscription, advance, deposit of money or service or anything of monetary value.
- Royalties/Copyright/Licensing Income: An employee must report if the employee receives royalties, licensing fees, and/or copyright income in the area of their Institutional Expertise of $5,000 or more, annually from an Entity other than the University.
- Expert Witness/Legal Consulting: An employee must report if the employee serves or seeks approval to serve as an expert witness and/or engage in consulting in the area of their Institutional Expertise or Inside Activities in a legal matter like a lawsuit or a potential lawsuit.
- Professional Services Related to Institutional Expertise: An employee must report if an employee provides or seeks approval to provide professional services to an outside Entity in the area of the employee’s Inside Activities or Institutional Expertise that represent a Private Interest.
- Leadership Roles: An employee must report if the employee has a senior management, administrative, or leadership role, that represents a Private Interest, with an outside Entity related to the employee’s Inside Activities or Institutional Expertise where the employee makes executive business and/or financial decisions on behalf of the outside Entity.
- Innovation Inducement Cash Value Prize: An employee must report if they choose to participate, as an Outside Activity, in a competition, with a prize amount greater than $5,000, in the area of their Institutional Expertise.